Thursday, March 29, 2012

Helmets on motor bikes

On January 1st it became illegal for riders on motor bikes to ride without helmets.





The bizarre thing is that passengers including fare paying ones do not have to wear them.





I reckon that all moto drivers should supply helmets for their pasengers as the passengers are at a much higher risk.





The combination of helmetless passengers on motor bikes driven by inexperinced untrained and UNISURED motos is a very dangerous combination.



Helmets on motor bikes




There are a few problems with moto-men supplying helmets for passengers , one is that the majority do not make enough money because there is an over supply of them .They would be forced to buy the cheapest helmet available which would be about as safe as a double walled shoe box .Most important of all is the fit of the helmet on the individuals head , an incorrectly fitting helmet can prove as dangerous in some circumstances as no helmet .







The answer to all of your concerns is to do as I do , do not ride on the back of untrained moto-men , take a tuk-tuk , much , much safer , it is not just your head you need to be considering , you are more likely to break an arm or a leg .The cost is not much higher and you get a better view of the surroundings , just keep bags inboard whilst riding in traffic to prevent theft(which is NOT rampant) .



Helmets on motor bikes


I usually hire moto guys and on my last trip to Phnom Kulen (very far, very butt-wrenching) the guy fortuanltey provided me with a helmet. On this last trip, I hired a moto guy to take me to Koh Ker. When I asked if he would provide a helmet for me, he asked ';Oh, are you worried about the dust?'; I said ';No, I%26#39;m worried about having my head splattered on the road!';



I%26#39;ll be heading back there in September to visit some more remote places by mototrcycle, and will buy a helmet when there. My moto buddy said a good one is only $20, and when I%26#39;m done with it, I will give it to his sister who rides a moto to commute to high school(they have to share one now).




I accept the points raised about ill fitting ans unsafe helmets for passengers. It is a problem which the police are struggling with as after a brief campaign fining moto riders a few $s for not having one; the laws are being mostly ignored. Its cheaper to be fined ten times than buying a helmet!




@Maneki-neko



I used to ride moto for several years and had several accidents. No harm thanks to my helmet.



IMHO, I doubt that a 20$ helmet will provide you good protection in case of accident even at very low speed.



It will just protect you from being fined by the Police.




a $20 helmet wont do much if its not strapped on either; as many riders don%26#39;t bother.





The bottom line is, even a cheap helmet is better than a baseball cap!




You can get a good helmet for between $30 %26amp; $100 here in Japan. A $20 helmet in Cambodia by similar standards would be up there with the best of normal Japanese street-rider wear.






Yes , the helmet law is being ignored by the vast majority of moto-men , but then again , they ignore most laws anyway . It often say to my wife whilst sitting watching the police attempting to do thier job , a couple of dozen American police would have the place sorted pronto , they do not fool around .








Ha! It is similar here in Japan where running a red light is the norm, as is hucking garbage from your car...

No comments:

Post a Comment