Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tipping suggestions

We will be going to Siem Reap soon with a guided tour. I would appreciate some tipping guidelines as far as for the daily maid, restaurants, taxi drivers, etc. for times when we are ';on our own';. Thanks.



Tipping suggestions


Tipping by locals in Asia is not a normal practise , if you wish to tip please do it in a conservative manner and only when you receive good service . In Thailand , staff are actualy asking guests for tips now and even telling them if the tip is not (in their mind)sufficient , they feel as a millionare tourist you MUST tip them , so please , do not make them greedy .



Tipping suggestions


In Siem Reap, the entire economy revolves around tourism. The government controls how much tour operators can charge, so the only way for tour guides, etc to make their money is through tips. You will see they work hard for them, so if you feel you were given good service, please tip accordingly.





No need to tip tuk tuk drivers for short distances around town. Should be $2 anywhere. If you hire one for the day and he gives you great service, then tip as you wish.





A dollar left on a pillow for a maid is also good, it means not much to you, but a lot to her.





Restaurants: if you%26#39;re eating in a western style restaurant, tip western style, if you%26#39;re eating in a local place, round up your change to the nearest dollar.





Try to remember that most salaried service people in Siem Reap are making $60-100 a month. Your tips help them survive and keep them interested in being in the tourism business, which makes your visit more enjoyable.





I personally think that the idea that ';tipping makes asians greedy'; is a bit absurd. We don%26#39;t hold waiters in the US up to that same rule.




So tipping the locals too much makes them greedy is Ábsurd%26#39;. Well , on the river-side a few years ago , we could give a small (child) beggar a few hundred real and get a huge grin . Just this evening sat on the same river-side , we proffered one such child 500 real , my wife was told ';I want 1,000 '; , another , ';I want a dollar'; . When average workers earn $2/3.00 A DAY , a dollar tip is far too much even though ';It may mean little to you '; it distorts their thinking , think about it !



The scenario in the good ole USofA is a totaly different society , where people have been brainwashed to suppliment below minimum wages employees , this is a far , far cry from USA , throwing money at the poor does nothing to improve the way of life here .The Thai government did that to villagers who just went out and bought new coloured TVs etc , now the money is gone they are back to square one and do not have the money to pay for electricity to turn on the TV , they have become very disgruntled . Please be a good samaritan and do not over tip , for the peoples future well being and state of mind .




Wow, it seems I opened up a can of worms. I just wanted to make certain I didn%26#39;t insult anyone by not leaving a tip where one is expected. And while tipping is the norm in the States, if I get lousy service, I not only do not leave a tip, but I sometimes let the manager know as well. That said, when someone has been attentive and helpful, I leave a generous tip to show my appreciation--whether I am at a very nice restaurant or a cheap eats place.




I think elenem%26#39;s advice was spot on! We tipped for good service and to people who went out of their way to do a great job. Giving money to beggars(even those cute kids) is not tipping, it%26#39;s charity. Some of them were even selling things, but I do not tip someone selling me something. Instead, I donated money to the Children%26#39;s Hospital, hoping it will benefit many children to have a better life.




I agree entirely with Newfie. Handing out cash and presents at random just encourages begging. There are dozens of orphanages, schools, hospitals and even a cople of landmine museums that could use the cash, blood donations or supplies, and if you really want to be charitable, help out in this way. You can contact schools %26amp; orphanages beforehand even and see if there are particular things they are in need of. I rarely, if ever, tip in Southeast Asai unless an exceptional service was performed, but I don%26#39;t sit there and hagel with vendors and drivers over 50 cents...






I agree in part with Maniki-neko , she IS Asian and i have lived amongst the poorer people both in the city and village , but then , what would we know ?.




Great comments. I kind of wish tipping did not exist. I now find that some staff actually look at the receipt to see if you added a tip on your debit card. We love our interac cards in Canada.



I am glad when I go to places where tipping does not exist.



I will be donating to a couple of schools in Myanmar and these comments have given me some inclination to do the same in Laos and Cambodia.



I have a weekness for kids, I volunteer at a kids group home so maybe an orphanage donation might be in order




Cactus-



If you will be in Phnom Penh for a day or two and have the free time, a very good friend of mine operates an orphanage on the outskirts of the city. If you%26#39;d like to go there for a visit, let me know and I%26#39;ll send you the details (they have transport that can even pick you up at your hotel).



And cheers! We need more kind-hearted souls like yourself! :-)




So I%26#39;m in Siem Reap now and I%26#39;m unsure whether or not we should tip our guide and driver? They have provided a great service but is it expected/normal to tip? And if so, what is a guide on how much to tip (on top of what we are paying $30 for the guide and $30 for the driver per day for 3 days)?



Cheers



Debdeb


  • night cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment