Thursday, March 29, 2012

Return to Bangkok from Siem Reap by air or bus?

I only have five days in Cambodia, and will be flying into Phnom Penh from Bangkok on a Friday.





I was planning on spending Saturday in Phnom Penh and then leaving early Sunday on the bus to Siem Reap and spending the rest of the day and all of Monday touring the area.





My question is what to do on the final day, Tuesday. I booked a cheap R/T flight on Air Asia and have a flight leaving from Phnom Penh at 4:55 pm. If I want to be on that flight I would have to leave Siem Reap in the morning and take the bus to Phnom Penh.





But then I saw somewhere that it is possible to get to Bangkok from Siem Reap overland in as little as eight hours by bus.





That got me thinking that it might be a waste of time to take the bus to Phnom Penh (6 hours) and then fly out from there (another 3+ hours with all the airport waiting and customs crossing on both ends).





The return flight to Bangkok is basically free (I just paid the tax) so losing it isn%26#39;t a big deal. Plus I would save the $25 airport departure tax.





I need to be back at work in Bangkok on Wednesday no matter which way I go. But if anyone has any experience with this, please let me know what you think the better way back to Bangkok is.





Thanks.





Return to Bangkok from Siem Reap by air or bus?


Going from Siem Reap to Bangkok overland is easy. Hire a taxi from Siem Reap to the border; you%26#39;ll be much more comfortable and stand a better chance of making it on time than if you go by bus.





From the border, take a bus into Bangkok. Last time I went it was about 300THB. The buses on the thai side are very comfortable and the roads are good.





I think the trip overland is fun and you get to see a lot of interesting things along the way. Prepare for a bumpy ride on the cambodian portion. If you%26#39;re going in rainy season, the trip takes longer.





You can read about the trip on www.talesofasia.com, but keep in mind you won%26#39;t be worried with dealing with the ';taxi mafia'; at Poipet, since you%26#39;ll be coming from Siem Reap in a pre-arranged taxi. You can arrange one through your hotel/guesthouse or at any of the travel agencies around town. Share taxis are often available to help cut the cost.



Return to Bangkok from Siem Reap by air or bus?


just got back from siem reap last wednesday. we left siem reap at 8.00 and we were in poipet by 10.30. crossed the border, exchanged some money, ate lunch at the rongklua market then took 80B tuktuk to the bus terminal then a 12.30, 207B, first class bus to BKK. we arrived at 5.00.





if you take the plane, you%26#39;ll still be in PNH around that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment