Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Great driver we used while in Siem Reap

Hi there,

Had a great driver while visiting Siem Reap who sorted us out with Airport transfers, temple visits, river village tours,....

Even took us to a great spot for sunset, very much secluded from the rest of the city.

His name is Tee (Mr Sopheap), and he speaks very good English.

I kept his number as I promised to recommend him here, so here goes: (855) 12 478 612.

He also uses email on sopheanhep@yahoo.com

If you do call him or get to see him please send my regards, he%26#39;s a very nice guy.

Cheers,

Sacha from South Africa

Great driver we used while in Siem Reap

wow, so mean. lol

Great driver we used while in Siem Reap

From what i have heard and read from tourists to Seam Reap , there are too many tuk-tuk men touting for buisness , some good some so-so , the biggest varient can be in what they charge for their service . What they charge is no indication of their abilities or knowledge , some are dependable some are not , but then , attention to time is not a good Asian trait .

Come and enjoy the sites and very friendly (in the main) people of this impoverished country , better than over tipping is to buy a poor person a meal .


I find it amazing how little you guys have to do other than complain about a genuine post on the site....

I thought this site was made for tourists to help eachother out when going on holiday to the same place --- giving each other tips, etc....

so perhaps the fact that I am now replying to the post adds to my credibility?!?!?!

I tell you what, you%26#39;re pretty sad not having anything better to do than try to discredit a post for some chap who was genuinely helpful. As for the remarks about him having used dodgy ways in the past, I take it these are about as true as your original beliefs that the post was made by the driver himself.

Let%26#39;s make this simple: you get a life, and for those of you who want to get a driver you can call the chap whose number I put in the original post.

Also feel free to make donations for our dear friend BanaPona%26#39;s brain surgery....Yawn!

Regards,

Sacha from South Africa


Hi there

I must agree, we used Tee and he was great.

He went way beyond what was asked of him and took us to some great places off the beaten track. Where most places were filled with tourists he managed to take us to see one of the most beautiful sunsets on our journey which we He treated us fantastically.

After travelling for 3 weeks through some areas where people would not even serve us food for speaking English he was a breath of fresh air and his kindness made Siem Reap one of the highlights of our trip.

Thanks,

Rehana


I just returned last night from Siem Reap and I used Tee as a driver for 3 days. I have to say he was great and I had no issues.

On arrival he was there with a sign. On the way to my hotel we discussed what I had sent him in an email as to what I wanted to and he had some suggestions. After dropping me at my hotel so I could check in he took me to a local Cambodian resturant where we had some good food and beers and it was great to not be in the touristy places for the 1st nite.

I had decided not to go with a guide and he knew about places and where I wanted to go. Since I am pretty independant and am not usually up for the tour guide he told me which book to buy from a local, how much to pay etc. So for the next few days he drove me place to place and was more then accomodating as he was willing to come back to the hotel each nite and take me to places (local or otherwise).

Not only all this but after walking around temples I was loving the AC in his car as opposed to the tuk tuk. Tee was great, I would suggest him to anyone, he is a good person and a good driver. He is a pretty good guide too if your not looking for someone to spend the day talking to you but he can arrange for a guide as well if that is what you want I just didn%26#39;t want it.

I found him here on TA and I would highly recommedn him as well.


Ad Hominin attacks - oh well.

Truth is:

Unsolicited ad - no one ask for recs - reply to threads asking for recs - not an out-of-blue ad.

No need to book ahead of time. Easy to find guides once in SR.

All guide recs sound the same (out of hundreds on this forum, only one has stood out) - - hence, 99.9% of the guides are equally good - don%26#39;t expect just one great guide that you must have.

So called popular guides who advertise (against the rules) on this forum often get double and triple booked - - then then give customers to other guides who assume the original guide%26#39;s identity (unbeknown to the tourist who thinks that they booked the so-called best guide).

Guides who don%26#39;t get free ads on TA also have families to feed.

No need to get a guide if you enjoy independent travel....very enjoyable to do without one. If you like guided tours (or need to be told where to eat), just know that there are many equally good guides - don%26#39;t be ambushed into thinking that there is just one ';must have'; guide who will make all your fantasies come true.

(Notice my civil tone and I do not attack you as a person.)


I didn%26#39;t care if you attacked me or not, although I think that was directed at the other person. I was just passing along some good info cause it helped me and I figured it might help others.

I agree you never have to pre-book but when the costs are the same and you know what your getting it is much better. It has worked for me a few times using TA so I am sure others do that as well.

Plus you get to a destination and you have something guide/driver wise and if you don%26#39;t like it you can always say I don%26#39;t want to use you tomorrow.

Again just my opinion but when people recommend in other country forums I haven%26#39;t seen the backlash I see here so not sure what the deal is


I agree with Bana on this point.

It%26#39;s not so much that no one believes you are giving a genuine post. Your recommendation is full of good intention and I believe you are trying to help this driver get some business. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem is, if I%26#39;m researching a trip and do a search looking for good drivers, I%26#39;ve only got your one post, hawking this driver. No trip report, no information about you, no way for me to read your previous posts and ascertain whether your wants/needs/travel style might be the same as mine. therefore you post is disregarded by me, and added to the other multitudes of posts where one-time posters come on here and tout the services of their drivers. These posts just don%26#39;t help anyone make a decision.

I think it would be very helpful if all the people that come on here to make a one time post about a great driver would take the time to write a full trip report. It would help future searchers match their style to yours and make your recommendation more meaningful.

Also, saying that he speaks great English, is a nice guy and is willing to take you wherever, describes EVERY SINGLE driver and guide in Siem Reap. Please come up with some other reason for a traveler to choose him. You%26#39;ve just dumped him into a pool of thousands.

I appreciate you taking the time to post and hope you will follow up with a more complete trip report!

  • blue hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment