Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Phnom Penh Hotel Recommendations

Hi everyone,





I have been researching hotels in Phnom Penh and have came up with this list:





The Pavlion



Juliana



Holiday Villa



Asia Palace Hotel



Goldiana





Could anyone please advise on this list? I am finding it very difficult to choose one...





It will just be for two people, we want to stay close to shops, restaurants, tours etc.





Thanks!!



Phnom Penh Hotel Recommendations


You don%26#39;t say what your budget is, but The Pavillion would be my choice of the ones you mentioned. It%26#39;s right around the corner from a good shopping street, and (depending on the time of year and how hot it is) is walking distance to the Royal Palace, parks, and the riverfront. In the same vein, I would also consider Villa Langka.





Juliana - the hotel is not at all close to anything of much interest, which would rule it out for me.





Goldiana - I haven%26#39;t seen the rooms there in close to 7 years, but even at that time they were not the best value for money...dark rooms badly in need of an update. I think the cheaper Golden Gate (and the many other Goldens - Golden Sun, Golden Bridge, etc etc) are better options for that area and price range.





Holiday Villa rings a bell, but I can%26#39;t place it (Monivong Blvd maybe?). Asia Palace is one I%26#39;ve never heard of.



Phnom Penh Hotel Recommendations


Thanks for your advice.





I have just emailed The Pavilion with a booking request but have a feeling they may be booked out cos there don%26#39;t seem to have that many rooms.





Budget would be aounrd 50USD per night, give or take.





I haven%26#39;t checked out the Golden hotels yet - are they are all part of the same company?





Do you have any other suggestions incase The Pavilion is fully booked?




I just checked out the Golden hotels. Golden Sun is located in Hanoi - but we want to stay in Phnom Penh?





Probably looking more for The Pavilion type hotels rather than Golden Gate and Golden Bridge.




Right around the Golden Gate are a bunch (6-10? more?) of copycat hotels, all of which are called Golden Something (Bridge, Star, Sun, etc.). Not all have websites or reviews on TA. But these hotels are all a notch down from the level of The Pavilion, Villa Langka, etc. E.g., no pool, more basic accomodations, no restaurant (or one that%26#39;s not as good), etc.





I%26#39;m not sure what%26#39;s in the $50 these days, as the places that you mention (like The Pavilion) which used to cost $50 are now around $75 or more.





Some places that occur to me in the $50 range, and which I%26#39;ve heard good things about (have not seen first hand though), are:



Frangipani Villa (no pool, I think?)



Almond Hotel (a more business-like feeling, with discounted rates now during the opening period, but I%26#39;m not sure how long they%26#39;ll last)



Blue Lime (new venture by the folks who run The Pavilion)





For those places that have no pool, note that there are many hotels that allow you to use their pool for a fee (including The Pavilion, Villa Langka, Himawari, even Raffles Le Royal).





I hope this helps.




Right next to the Golden Gate Hotel (we stayed there in July, and it was good) is the Anise Hotel (we also stayed there). It is a little nicer than the Golden Gate, and the food is better. I would book there again if I could, and would cheerfully stay at the Golden Gate again if the Anise was not available. Both places offered a good experience. There are lots of restaurants, shops, tailors, and massage places very close by.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment