Wednesday, April 25, 2012

AngkorWat Light and Sound show

Hi,

Somebody recommended to me to go to the AngkorWat Light %26amp; Sound show. I would like to hear opinions from people that have seen the show last year.

AngkorWat Light and Sound show

I heard from a local it%26#39;s pretty cool, but it%26#39;s like $60 for a ticket!!!

AngkorWat Light and Sound show

You are right. It is very expensive and this makes it hard to justify. This is why I want to hear from someone who attended the show.


I attended and don%26#39;t necessarily recommend it. Seeing the temples lit up at night was AMAZING but the show itself was ridiculous. I felt ripped off.

Unless you think it%26#39;s worth $60 to see the temples lit up at night, don%26#39;t go.


My wife and I will be in Siem Reap next month and wondering if we should pay $120 for the light show at Angor Wat. I am afraid it might turn out to be a made-for-tourist show and a reap off.

Considering the cost of living in Cambodia, USD120 seems excessive for a 60 minute show.

Is Dinner included?

Thanks for any information.


Hi s5351b,

I also understand that this light show is quite special, it only runs at certain times of the year, I understand that several companies are involved in the production, including the Angkor Authority which administers the whole complex. I am told anecdotally that there are different pricing structures for the show depending on whether you book through a ';westerners'; outlet, or whether you buy tickets through a local Cambodian or Korean run operator/ion, I hear anecdotally that these operators may be charging somewhere between US $ 35 %26amp; $ 45, which, though still not cheap is alot better than $ 60.

I wasn%26#39;t able to attend the show as it wasn%26#39;t running at the time I was last there but everyone says it is quite good, even the locals. I would be inclined to ask some of the local travel agents in Siem Reap, certainly not the hotel where you stay or booking the ';western'; way over the net before arrival, if you do this you will likely be charged even more than the US $ 60.00 others have mentioned.

In a previous post on Cambodia / Siem Reap I mentioned the name and details of a local travel agent in Siem Reap that I have generally found to be extra-ordinarily helpful and knowledgeable about everything to do with the whole place. If you look through some of these you will find the details.

I hope this helps you and that you have a wonderful time,

Tony_C_Syd.


Hi Tony,

I%26#39;ve gone back over your threads and opened at least 6 but I can%26#39;t find the Siem Reap local travel agent that you mentioned again in this thread. Can you point me in the right direction please? Also, I will be travelling from Sydney to Cambodia next year. I was going to go via Jetstar%26#39;s Sydney HCMC route, but I%26#39;m so disallusioned with Jetstar at the moment (even though they are cheap) I am hoping you may have another cheap alternate suggestion. I have looked at flying to other Asians cities then onto Siem reap, but the savings are not there that I can find. In August I paid approx $600 return to HCMC from Sydney with Jetstar.Any advice will be appreciated.

many thx

Coop


Hi s5351b %26amp; all,

Since there seems to have been some confusion over my previous posts re local guides, drivers, travel agents, etc., in Siem Reap / Angkor Wat I have taken the liberty of copying the relevant information onto this post as it seems to answer a number of questions. Below is a portion of information copied from a previous post:-

It will be very useful to have the services of a travel agent actually in Siem Reap to help arrange hotels and all the necessaries. Although you can use an online hotel booking service such as that provided by ';tripadvisor.com';, ';asiarooms.com';, or ';asiawebdirect.com'; ; (all of which will offer rates far below the ';advertised'; rate of the hotels in question - sometimes half or less); a local agent however always seems to be able to ';work the magic'; and get even better rates.

I booked through ';asiarooms.com'; only to find that the local travel agent in Siem Reap through whom I made some arrangements could have got me the same room for maybe 25-30% less than even these ';cheap'; online sites. My advice is enlist local help.

By all means use those websites to look at reviews, check advertised rates and browse the hotels and their facilities to narrow your accommodation preferences. However my advice is, when it comes time to actually book a hotel, find a travel agent in Siem Reap. The details of the travel agent in Siem Reap I used (and who seems to ';get the deals';) is, (don%26#39;t be afraid to let her know the prices you%26#39;ve seen on these websites as this will give her a starting point to negotiate down even further on your behalf):-

Agent Name : Miss Khema*****

*******(make sure you deal with her personally and directly, she is a delightful ';miracle worker';, with excellent spoken English and a really good sense of humour and understanding of a stranger%26#39;s needs and interests).

Travel Agency /Company: Asia View Tour Network

Mob.Telephone: Int. Access + (855) + 12 927 415 or

Int. Access + (855) + 12 808 924 or

Direct Email : angkormkn@yahoo.com

Agency Email: asiaviewtour@yahoo.com

(attn. Ms.Khema)

: asiaview@siemreapinformation.com

: siemreapinformation.com

Agency Telephone : Int. Access +

(855) + 6396 3466

Another quick piece of advice is to always opt for the ';breakfast included'; rate at the hotel you are staying at if you think you will eat there for breakfast. The breakfasts in most of the hotels seem to be pretty good and very filling sorts of buffet / smorgasboard type meals with choices for peoples of all tastes and varieties. Most hotels will however sting you severely if you just arrive for breakfast and add it to your bill, the ';breakfast included'; rate will end up much cheaper.

Just in case you have trouble finding it, the driver I used was Sen Savy, his spoken English is good but his written English a little less perfect, (but then who needs an essay). I suggest you give him a quick call he really is an outstanding type of person and really punctual and helpful, I would be very certain he will make your stay a good one.

Driver Name : Sen Savy (English speaking driver / guide)

Email : sensavy@yahoo.com

Telephone : Int. Access + (855)+ 12 911 525

Tel (within Cambodia) : 012 911 525

Don%26#39;t be apprehensive at all, go out there and have fun. It is a wonderful country full of delightful and helpful people who will make your effort at any adventure well worthwhile. I am very happy to send more information if you need help. I love the place and am hoping to go back soon. I went thinking a week might be too long and came backl thinking i could easily stay a month and never be bored or unhappy.

Tony_C_Syd.

  • eye makeup
  • one web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment