Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Usd/Riel

Hi guys

I know USD is back in Cambodia... however I would like to know whether I can withdraw and use Riel..? I know in VN we could withdraw dong which we barely used... but as it stands we get better exchange rates going Aussie-Riel then we do using Aussie-US and then the crude exchange rate to Riel.

Will cyclos/restaurants/bars and hotels etc accept riel payment?

Thanks in advance.

Usd/Riel

The ATMs dispense USD if you use your Aussie credit card.

Riel is only used for small purchases, tuk tuks etc. Any larger payments like accommodation, flights etc will all be in USD

Usd/Riel

In my limited experience in Siem Reap and around, the only places where prices were quoted in riels were... some public toilets ;) Even in a small supermarket located in a not too touristy part of the town all prices were in dollars (some items were priced at $0.5), and tuk-tuk drivers wanted dollars. They all did take riels on my request (I needed to get rid of those I had stupidity to exchange in the airport) but the rate was not very favourable - I%26#39;d have done much better if I had just kept the USD from the start. So my advice is you don%26#39;t need any riels whatsoever.


The us$ is the defacto currency, and almost everything is quoted and paid for in dollars.

small change ie less than 1$ is usually given in rhiel, and in some places you can substitute rhiel for $, but the vast majority of people will be far happier to take $ than the local currency - its worth more for them.


At the current exchange you gain $3.75 on $100.00 us , my wife will exchange for that extra few Bucks and actualy gets better prices for her Reil . Many locals pay for everything in Reil , but you need big pockets to carry it all , Reil is the national currency so they are almost obliged to take it anywhere .As I recall , there is an ANZ machine outside of BS superstore on Monivong that dispenses Reil , we have never been refused payment in either currency . I feel that if you go to a bank which gives you an advance on your credit card with no charge , will give you in Reil . My wife has just told me , when you go to the local markets they will take whatever money you have in your pocket .


Thanks Odball... knowing that I will be more inclined to use Riel. Thanks for the tip mate.


Hi JC

you really would be better just to take USD. The exchange rate is awful - you%26#39;re going to need a wheelbarrow to carry your riel.

I accept that many americans think the world spins on the greenback, and I know it sticks in the craw a bit to be using US $ when a country has a perfectly good currency of their own, but sadly the poor old riel isn%26#39;t really that perfectly good.

We bought beer in a supermarket - priced at 67c - we handed over a US$1 and got a pile of very low riel demonimation notes as our 33c change. I didn%26#39;t see any US coin.

Helen


Note also that some retailers (who prefer US dollars) will apply an unfavorably exchange rate if you want to use riel.

Basically, almost everyone uses US dollars almost all of the time. Riel are accepted as well, but since the largest denomination is 20,000 (roughly US$), riel are used mostly as change or for small transactions: motos, cyclos, for small purchases in the market, etc.


Never had a problem with retailers using local currency , they don%26#39;t give you the few extra reil as posted , but we always get 4,000 R to the US dollar . Super store cash registers post the reil total as well as the dollar total , the choice is yours how you pay , there is usualy a sign showing 4,100 R to the dollar , so you will be paying that extra 100R , 10,000R is $2.50 , so when the R rate of exchange is up you still win . Drawing your money here in US dollars , it is not such a significant gain to worry about(unless you are Kymer) , but as you have said there is a significant difference with your Ausie dollar , work out that which gives the best return . My mother always told me ';A penny saved is a penny and a farthing , you pay tax on the penny earned '; , still true to this day .

Look at it this way , if all those extra reil wealthy tourists think of as insignificant were put in a huge pot , the end result could be a lot of schooling for a lot of kids who cannot currently afford it . Over-tipping amounts to the same thing , give the extra to an orphanage , where it is desperately needed and appreciated .Thank you one and all .


Riel is like monopoly dosh.... 4000Riel for 1 $, so any significant amount of $ going to need a truck to carry it around in. ;)


Hmm Odball you are still swaying me in favour of the riel. Here is what I think I will do...

I will bring my wheelbarrow from australia, fill it with Riel, and put a few USD%26#39;s in my wallet for when or if the retailers don%26#39;t want to take a scoop of cashola out of my wheelbarrow.

Thanks all for your advice.

  • best myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment